Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Age of Anxiety (4/7/10)

When we first began to discuss this lesson last week, I was curious as to why this time period was referred to as the "Age of Anxiety." Today, however, it became quite clear to me as to why it would be called that, thanks to Jack's presentation of Henri Matisse and Maggie's presentation on Dadaism and Salvador Dali. But first, I must reiterate what I learned about Henri Matisse and Dadaism. Henri Matisse was a French artist known for his modern art and abstraction. His paintions are known to be an "explosion on canvas."Dadaism is art that it "delighted in outrageous conduct," and gets its name because people would just say "da da" (or "yes, yes" or "yeah right" or "whatever") about the work. It consists mainly of the idea of a collage, photo montage, or assemblage or works. One of the most famous dadaists was Salvador Dali who was known for his surreal paintings. What these people painted offered me the ability to draw a conncection between their work and the phrase "age of anxiety," and once you see their paintings, I'm sure you will agree.


With the confusion and sadness that Dali's paintings and the explosive chaos that Matisse's artwork brings to me, I myself begin to feel anxious. I'm sure living in this time period and seeing this kind of artwork would make everyone feel just as anxious.

(Note: I know what I have previously stated is not 100% accurate as to why this time period was call this, I just find it humorous to think if it in this way. Also, this humor allows us to be distracted from the fact that this is the period in between two very gruesome and dramatic wars.)

No comments:

Post a Comment